SEMI-PESCETARIAN LIFE: MUSTARD GREENS SOUP FOR LUNCH

September 26, 2013

















 Mustard Green or Brassica juncea are the green foliage of a mustard plant mostly found in the ingredients in Asia and Africa. It has an individual assortment which differs in leaf size, shape and texture. As for the punch, it's synonymous to spinach but with a "spicy" feel to it. It also has a strong and slightly bitter taste but not quite as bitter as turnip greens.

One cold afternoon, I was craving for some soup. This is the dish that first came to my mind. I decided to add this green, leafy vegetable to my dietary routine because it not just taste great (atleast for me) it's also one of the world healthiest foods. It has cholesterol-lowering ability and cancer-preventive properties because it is a cruciferous vegetable.

I first had a taste of Mustard Greens in Sinigang. It's one of the first vegetables that I learned to fell in love with. I even have this habit of eating it raw, sprinkled with some salt or mayonnaise of course. It's one of those vegetables that you can eat without cooking. I especially love it when it is added in Filipino Spring Roll.

You can say that this recipe is a simplified Sinigang, minus the fish, pork, beef, shrimp, or chicken. This quick dish is suited when one is in a hurry for it is very easy to make.

                             


I bought this in the market early in the morning. I like it fresh and crispy.


I used Tamarind as a soup base. A pseudo-Sinigang is never complete without its sour and savory flavor.


I chopped the Mustard Greens and I cut small slits in the Green Chili to burst the spiciness. And yes, that is how spiciness is spelled.

Carnivore by heart's may not find this speedy recipe enjoyable. However, I too have doubts at first if it will taste as good as the real Sinigang and to my surprise, it does. As an additional bonus, it's healthy and need I say more, slimming.


Thanks,